Thursday, November 18, 2010

GoGirl vs Spidergirl

As I read about Trina Robbins’ GoGirl character, I couldn’t help but think of another young female superhero-Spidergirl. Although they are very different I’m sure, they do have some things in common. They are both female superheroes, they are the daughters of their originals, and they both have to go through teenage issues. GoGirl was created later and may have been influenced by Spidergirl, but the question is who is more popular? Who would win in ‘GoGirl vs Spidergirl’?
GoGirl is created by a female, while Spidergirl is created by a male writer. GoGirl’s mother was previously a GoGirl. Therefore, GoGirl might be more popular with more feminist readers. Since GoGirl is Jewish, She may appeal to a Jewish audience, but Spidergirl is the daughter of the infamous Spiderman. That being said, their heroic exploits or experiences as a teenager might be the tie-breaker.
I wonder if the main audience of these comics is girls, women, boys, or men. They certainly seem to be targeting girls, but I could be wrong. In any case it is certainly interesting to see the theme of superhero daughters in the comic scene today.
Unfortunately, I have not read either of these comic serieses, so I don’t know which female superhero I would like more. As a long-time Spiderman fan, I would imagine I would go with Spidergirl, but I could be mistaken. So with all of this in mind, who would win the popularity between the two of them? GoGirl or Spidergirl? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment