Saturday, November 6, 2010

'Megillat Esther'

Thus far, I have enjoyed reading Megillat Esther. I find the idea of illustrating a Biblical story fascinating and somewhat creative. It is especially interesting that J.T. Waldman illustrates the Biblical text by chapter and verse. Oddly enough, I was not previously familiar with the book of Esther, and find the story to be new and exciting. It certainly has a good plot with interesting characters.
In addition to Waldman closely following the storyline of the Biblical text, I think it is important that it contains the Hebrew text. Waldman uses the text in interesting ways to frame scenes or add effect to the artwork as opposed to the typical page setup. As Hebrew is read from right to left, I am under the impression that the first half of the book is in ‘mirror image’ to accommodate the English text, and that the second half is in the original format. One thing that I wonder is whether the book was originally planned to have both languages. It almost seems like the English is added in white or open spaces.
I am looking forward to the rest of the story as written in both the Bible and in Waldman’s graphic novel. Esther seems like an interesting character and is put in quite a predicament as she has to save her people, but would risk her own position as queen in doing so. It will be interesting to see how the story plays out.

1 comment:

  1. I am always amazed too when I find things like Biblical passages or events in History that are so well described that I sit back and think, Wow that could make a great movie but it's "real".

    ReplyDelete